Posted September 30, 2018 12:14:50A Sydney cafe owner is facing a host of charges after police say he allegedly held people in his bar while they were drunk.
Key points:A 24-year-old man and a 19-yearold woman are charged with unlawful restraintA 17-year old man is charged with assault and is awaiting court dateA 17 year old boy and a 15-year ‘old boy’ are charged over a “bar fight” that occurred at the cafeA 17year old boy has been charged with assaulting a 17- year-old girl and has been bailed to appear at Central Local Court on September 26The charges against the owners of the Barrow Hotel and Lounge on the Upper Westmead Road include unlawfully restraining, assault and common assault.
The bar has been on the NSW Central Local Area Command (CLEC) watchlist since December 2016.CLEC says it has seen at least 25 bar fights in the past 12 months.
A 17-, 18-, and 19- year old man and 17-, 17-, and 17-month-old boys were charged with a common assault each.
The charges relate to the incident at the Barrows in November.
A 21-year and 21- year olds are charged for “assaulting a person” and assault causing injury.
The offences are for alleged unlawful restraint, assault causing bodily harm, common assault, unlawful restraint and assault.
All the charges relate, in part, to the alleged incident at Barrow in November, when the bar owner allegedly held customers and patrons for more than two hours while they allegedly tried to leave the bar.
Police allege the bar’s owners had previously been fined by the NSW Department of Community Safety for alcohol-related offences, and were warned by police to cease operations.
“It’s not uncommon for the people who have a job to do to do that sort of thing, and I’m not surprised,” said Detective Superintendent Michael Gascoyne from the NSW State Crime Command.
“If you’re in a position of trust, you’re expected to act in the best interests of your customers and that’s what we’re going to be focusing on.”‘
We’ve got to get people off the streets’The Barrow’s owner, who cannot be named, told the ABC that his bar has received several calls and emails from people asking for information on how to help them.
“We’ve had a lot of people in the last week asking how they can help us and get them off the street,” he said.
“There are a lot people that have been in our business for a long time who want to do something for us.”
The owner said he was “very, very sorry” for the damage to his business and would not be commenting further.
The 18-month old boy who allegedly assaulted a 17 year- old girl has been taken into custody and is currently in police custody, while the 15- and 15-month olds are both still in police care.
Topics:crime,law-crime-and-justice,police,courts-and_trials,sydney-2000,barrow-2581,nsw,australiaMore stories from New South Wales